The New Zealand Government has kicked off its mission to phase out single-use and hard-to-recycle plastics by 2025, after its ban on single-use plastic shopping bags in 2019.
Here’s a reminder on the first round of bans coming into effect starting October 1st, 2022 (Source).
INCLUDED IN THE BAN
• PVC food trays and containers
• Polystyrene takeaway food and drink packaging
• Expanded polystyrene food and drink packaging
• Plastic with pro-degradant additives, e.g. oxo and photo-degradable plastics
• Plastic drink stirrers
• Plastic stemmed cotton buds
The Waste Minimisation Act does allow for fines up to $100,000 to be issued when parties deliberately contravene regulations under the Act. These fines are not specific to the plastic bag regulations. Any fines will be proportionate to the offence.
• Read the full consultation document here
• Read the latest version of the Waste Minimisation Regulations here
• More information about legislation is available on the Government website here
Our team can help your business through these changes. Get in touch today,
or contact your local state or authority!